Thursday, June 30, 2011

Past Due.

So, while you're waiting for the next super exciting post about the 4-H Horse Show, the holiday weekend and our four, cute little babies, I decided to put together a post with some past due information. You know, just to give you something to do. I'm sure you needed help coming up with ways to keep yourself busy - just like me.

Yeah, right.

Anyway, I intended to write a post about our cow/calf adventure in Northern Nebraska quite a while ago, but I just never made the time to do it. After letting so many weeks pass, I thought I would let it go and just write a more current post. However, the pictures are just too darn good to pass up. In fact, they're almost unbelievable.


That's right, folks. That's my husband - the one in the Bears coat - walking cows down a road in Northern Nebraska.


A few weeks ago (okay, like, the end of May), my best good friend, Rachel, said she was headed to her boyfriend's house to help move some cattle - and David and I were invited.

Of course, I was game. Rachel said there would be cows, a hot tub, and even a few adult beverages. Sounded good to me. David wasn't quite as sure, but said if there was a hot tub, he would be happy to go.

Rachel's boyfriend, Ace, and his family, have a cow/calf operation in Orchard, Neb., and it was time to move the cows and calves to the summer pasture. The plan was to load up the cows and calves early Saturday morning and make the hour-long drive over to the summer pasture.


We woke up Saturday morning to bawling calves and loaded trailers (yes, we left Ace and his dad to do the hard work of loading the cattle). Rach, David and I got ourselves ready and headed out the door, joining Ace in the last truck and trailer.

After about an hour on the road, we made it to our desired destination. Once we got everything unloaded into some holding pens, we ate some lunch and then headed out again to walk the cows and calves a mile or so down the road to the pasture. I figured David would want to ride in the truck that Rachel was driving, following the herd, but he cowboyed up and walked the ditches with Ace and I.


And, you know what, I think he even enjoyed it! My husband grew up in the country, but he's never been much of a farm boy. Still, he walked those cows every inch to the pasture - and even seemed interested in why we were moving the cattle and details of Ace's operation.

I'm sure it's no surprise to you that I enjoyed myself - I got to be with cows all day, take pictures of the cute little calves (and my cute little husband) and spend some time with good friends.













Anyway, once we were done, we headed back to Orchard to cook some steaks for dinner and spend some time in the hot tub. All in all, it was a pretty relaxing - and entertaining - weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment