Friday, April 22, 2011

Eight Long Years



You know what? This week marked eight years.

Eight years of missing the sight of that 1960 red El Camino come tearing up the drive in the summer. Eight years of going outside at home and not hearing the radio on in the shop. Eight years without hearing his familiar phrase, "Park it. It's time for dinner." Eight years without his corny jokes. Eight years without trail rides and camping. Eight years of thinking, "Oh man, he would have loved this. I wish he could have been here." Eight years of seeing one empty chair at holiday gatherings, graduations and weddings. Eight years of avoiding that turn off just before I get to my house back home because it's the turn off for the cemetery.

But, you know what's worse? This year, I didn't realize it had been eight years until two days after the anniversary had passed. That makes me feel sad. And, incredibly guilty.

How did I miss it? How did I become so wrapped up in work, hobbies and, well, life in general, that I couldn't even remember the date? And, more than that, is the fact that I forgot a good or bad thing? Or is it just one of those things that is?

In the end, I guess the fact that I missed a date on the calendar isn't the part that bothers me. Instead, I feel like I forgot about him, and that's what makes me feel guilty. Each year, it seems like memories slip from my mind. And, I'm sure that's not true, but it still feels that way sometimes. 

When it comes down to it, I suppose there aren't any good answers for these questions - or even the guilty feeling. 

And, that's okay.



3 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    Opened up your blog from facebook, saw the picture of you and your dad, and began to cry. So sweet. Miss Seeing Steve "just around". I happened to be at the dealership last Friday (picking up a new car!) so I was reminded that it had been 8 years....and I meant to send a little note to your mom. There will always be that first love........Your dad would be proud of the young woman and wife that you have become. It's okay not to remember the exact date...you still have all the wonderful, precious memories to embrace from time to time. Each of our worlds is a bit more empty now....but, in reflection of this Easter week, Heaven is definitely one soul "fuller". And I don't think Steve would want us to forget that. That is a great hope and blessing for each of us to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot I had to use a google deal so I used Kate's.....oops.
    Pam Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Pam - you're absolutely right.

    I'm glad you bounced back, because I sure didn't know who "Katey-boo" was! And, congrats on the new car!

    ReplyDelete